One of my daughters took a class at BYU where the professor suggested that we can’t have it both ways. We can’t accept just that which is convenient to us as members of the Church. This is, however, precisely what every scholar does… each looks for those points of view that agree with the premises she or he is trying to make. Scholars do this in every field of study. Not that opposite points of view are not considered.
I make no apology for that myself. I have searched long and wide through ancient scriptures, translations, commentaries, and lexicons that are written from almost every conceivable angle, and when they helped me make the point I was trying to make, I have used these. I make no general recommendation of them, but I have no reservations about using things I find interesting and useful. Even where there is much I disagree with.
There are dozens of commentaries—or exegetical works—on Isaiah. Some of them specialize on Isaiah, some on particular portions of Isaiah and others cover larger portions of scripture and include Isaiah. These include books written by Jewish authors or by Christians of other faiths. Among the exegetes or Biblical scholars, we often find excellent insights. I have come to expect pearls of wisdom from several of them. In some instances, observations are mentioned as an aside—or even when arguing an opposite perspective. Even these contrary perspectives are often quite useful.
No more important source, to me, has been the writings of the Brethren. But there are extensive portions of Isaiah that have not been referred to by the Brethren.
It requires much striving
Elder B. H. Roberts taught that “It requires striving—intellectual and spiritual—to comprehend the things of God—even the revealed things of God. In no department of human endeavor is the aphorism ‘no excellence without labor’—more in force than in acquiring knowledge of the things of God. The Lord has placed no premium upon idleness or indifference here … the truth here contended for—achievement in divine things, progress in the knowledge of them, comes only with hard striving, earnest endeavor, determined seeking.”1
For the first several chapters of Isaiah, I kept telling myself. “I will never understand this chapter.” Yet eventually I would get an understanding of sorts. I eventually changed my notion to: “This chapter is just as hard as the ones I have completed, yet with work and God’s help I will, in time, come to an understanding.”
Towards the end of the project, I was surprised when on occasion I received guidance from the Lord before I had put in the effort to understand.
This effort would take over two decades of joyous enterprise not to finish or complete; I can see how I could profitably spend the rest of my days cherishing the words of Isaiah and continually revising what I have written. I already see the need for the fourth edition. I look forward to your comments, suggestions, and corrections.
At first, it was taking seven months to complete a chapter. This was when I was limited to about two or so hours of study per day. I have become more efficient, and now that I am retired, have more time to devote to the work.
Scripture study is much like entering a room and finding that there are adjoining doors and windows that offer additional insights. And those new rooms have yet more doors and windows, and so on.
“For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little” (Isaiah 28:10).
It seems that almost every time I reread a scripture I find additional meaning and inspiration. I particularly love reading and rereading the same passage over and over throughout several weeks. The scriptures seem to form one eternal round.
Because so few people, relatively speaking, are interested in Isaiah, I found that writing was a little like talking to myself when nobody else might want to listen. Prayerful analysis has been the key to this study, especially as I am exposed to so very many perspectives.
With this in mind, then, I here share a bibliography of most of the books that I used in the study of Isaiah, and are related to the articles I am contributing to Search Isaiah.
SELECTED KEY TO AUTHORITIES
Here are some of the resources used in the study of Isaiah. Sometimes I utilized multiple versions of the same reference, such as electronic vs. hard copy; or two or more hard copies or electronic copies of a resource. Much of the bibliography is found as footnotes within the text itself. Some of the references do not fit as cleanly or nicely under a specific category, but I wished to refrain from creating additional categories.
Only the most basic and generalized siglum were used. For instance, for the (𝔔) we indicate separately the Great Isaiah Roll (1QIsaa) and other rolls utilized (e.g., 1QIsab, 4QIsac). Peshitta and Syriac share the same siglum.
ANCIENT MANUSCRIPTS AND TRANSLATIONS
• Charles, R.H. (1900) The Ascension of Isaiah. From the Pseudepigrapha. Translated from the Ethiopic Version, which, together with the new Greek fragment, the Latin Versions and the Latin Translation of the Slavonic, is here published in full. The Clarendon Press, Oxford. Asc Isa
𝔊 Septuagint, LXX
• A New Translation of the Septuagint: And the other Greek Translations Traditionally Included under that Title. A new translation of the Greek into contemporary English—An essential resource for Biblical studies. Albert Pietersma and Benjamin G. Wright, Editors (2007). ????
• International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies. Esaias translated by Moisés Silva. NETS. ????
• Isaiah according to the Septuagint. Codex Alexandrinus. Translated by R.R. Ottley. 2nd Edition, 1909. Cambridge. (Logos Bible Software) ????
• Rahlfs, A., & Hanhart, R. (Eds.). (2006). Septuaginta: SESB Edition (Is 44:24–25). Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft. (Logos Bible Software) ????
• Tan, R., & deSilva, D. A., Logos Bible Software. (2009). The Lexham Greek-English Interlinear Septuagint. (Logos Bible Software) ????
• The Old Testament Greek Interlinear. Esaias Septuagint begins on page 912 out of 1242. Author not mentioned. URL http://septuagint-interlinear-greek-bible.com/OldTestament.pdf ????
• The Septuagint Version of the Old Testament and Apocrypha with an English Translation and with Various Readings and Critical Notes. Also known as Brenton’s 1851 translation of the LXX. Zondervan Publishing House, Second Zondervan printing, 1975. ????
• The Septuagint: The Bible used by our Savior and the Apostles. Used in the Christian church for a thousand years. First English Translation. Translated by Charles Thomson. A new edition, S.F. Pells. Volume II. London, Skeffington & Son, 1904. Reprint of 1883 edition. ????
• Ziegler, J. (Ed.). (1983). Isaias (Vol. XIV, Is 36:13–16). Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht. Hard copy as well as Logos Bible Software. Also electronic Göttingen Septuagint collection including critical apparatus. ????
𝔐 Masoretic or related texts
• Bibles, also see under.
• Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia : SESB Version. (2003). (electronic ed., Jos 6:5). Stuttgart: German Bible Society. (Logos Bible Software) ????
• Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia. H.P. Rüger et J. Ziegler, Editio secunda emendate W. Rudolph et H.P. Rüger. Deutsche Bibelgesellscharft, Stuttgart. 1967/77, 1984. ????
• Biblia Hebraica, Editor, Rud Kittel. Privilegierte Wurtemmbergische Bibelanstalt, Stuttgart. 1929–1937. ????
• Boothroyd, Benjamin. Biblia Hebraica, or, the Hebrew scriptures of the Old Testament: without points, after the text of Kennicott, with the chief various readings, selected from his collation of Hebrew mss., from that of De Rossi, and from the ancient versions: accompanied with English notes, critical, philological, and explanatory.
• Hebrew Bible (BHS). (Accordance Bible Software) ????
• Hebrew Bible (Biblia Hebraica). (Accordance Bible Software) ????
• Jay Green, The Interlinear Hebrew-English Bible (3 Volumes), APGA Associated Publishers and Authors, Wilmington, Delaware, 1976. ????
• The Hebrew Bible: Andersen-Forbes Analyzed Text. (2008). (Jos 6:5). Francis I. Andersen; A. Dean Forbes. (Logos Bible Software) ????
• Van der Merwe, C. (2004). The Lexham Hebrew-English Interlinear Bible. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press. (Logos Bible Software) ????
• Weil, G. E., Elliger, K., & Rudolph, W., Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft. (1997). Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia Apparatus Criticus (5. Aufl., rev., p. 361). Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft. (Logos Bible Software) ????
𝔔 Dead Sea Scrolls, DSS
• Dead Sea Scrolls Biblical Corpus in Canonical order. (Accordance Bible Software) ????
• Dead Sea Scrolls Biblical Corpus in Manuscript order. (Accordance Bible Software) ????
• Discoveries in the Judean Desert, XXXII, Qumran Cave 1, II, The Isaiah Scrolls (Part 1: Plates and Transcriptions; Part 2: Introductions, commentary and textual variants), by Eugene Ulrich, Peter W. Flint and contributions by Martin G. Abegg (2010), Jr. Oxford, At the Clarendon Press. ????
• Eugene Ulrich (2010). The Biblical Qumran Scolls: Transcriptions and Textual Variants. Supplements to Vetus Testamentum: The Text of the Bible at Qumran. Volume 134. Brill, Leiden, Netherlands. ????
• Fred Miller, Dead Sea Scrolls. URL http://www.moellerhaus.com/qumdir.htm ????
• Martin G. Abegg Jr., Peter Flint, Eugene Ulrich (1999), The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible: The Oldest Known Bible Translated for the First Time into English. San Francisco: Harper. ????
• Qumran Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls Database by Lexham Press • Lexham Press (2011). (Logos Bible Software) ????
• The Great Isaiah Scroll (online). The Israel Museum, Jerusalem. Enlargeable. URL http://dss.collections.imj.org.il/isaiah#1:1. ????
𝔖 Peshitta / Syriac
• Biblia Peshitta en Español: Traducción de los Antiguos Manuscritos Arameos (2006). Holman Bible Publishers. ????
• LBP – The Holy Bible from the Ancient Eastern Texts: Aramaic from the Peshitta (e-Sword) ????
• Leiden Peshitta. (2008). Leiden: Peshitta Institute Leiden. (Logos Bible Software) ????
• Old Testament in Syriac (1913). Trinitarian Bible Society. ????
• Peshitta Syriac Version of the Bible, George M. Lamsa (1957). A.J. Holman Company. ????
• Syriac Peshitta Old Testament (Peshot T) (Accordance Bible Software) ????
• The Aramaic-English Interlinear Peshitta Old Testament (2013). An Interlinear Translation Translated (with notes and commentary) by Rev. Glenn David Bauscher. Lulu Publishing. ????
𝔗 Targum / Chaldee
• Alexander Sperber, The Bible in Aramaic based on old manuscripts and printed texts. The Pentateuch according to Targum Onkelos; the Former Prophets according to Targum Jonathan; The Latter Prophets according to Targum Jonathan. Third impression Brill, Leiden 2004. ????
• Etheridge, John Wesley (1865), The Targums of Onkelos and Jonathan ben Uzziel on the Pentateuch; with the fragments of the Jerusalem Targum: from the Chaldee.
• Targum Onqelos, Jonathan, and the Writings (English) TARG-E, 2015. (Accordance Bible Software) ????
• Targums Tagged. Aramaic Targums (Onkelos, Jonathan, and the Writings) (TARG-T) (2014). Based on the electronic text of The Complete Aramaic Lexicon Project (CAL) of Hebrew Union College, Cincinnati, OH, USA. (Accordance Bible Software) ????
• The Aramaic Bible (22 Volumes, including Volume 11, edited by Bruce D. Chilton on Isaiah (1990–2007). (Logos Bible Software) ????
• The Chaldee Paraphrase of the Prophet Isaiah, translated by the Rev. C.W. Pauli (1871). London Society House. ????
• The Isaiah Targum: Introduction, Translation, Apparatus and Notes by Bruce D. Chilton (1987). Volume 11 in The Aramaic Bible: The Targums, series. A Michael Glazier Book: The Liturgical Press, Collegeville, Minnesota. ????
• The Targum of Isaiah, edited with a translation by John F. Stenning (1949). Oxford, At the Clarendon Press. Printed in Great Britain. ????
• Bibbia. La Sacra Bibbia (Italian, Tradotti da Giovanni Diodati). Cambridge. La Societa Biblica Americana di New York. ????
• Biblia Sacra, Vulgatae Editionis, Sixti V. et Clementis VIII, Jussu Recognita Atque Edita, Editio Nova, Londini: 1857. ????
• DRB – 1899 Douay-Rheims Bible (e-Sword) ????
• La Biblia ó El Antiguo Testamento traducidos al Español de la Vulgata Latina por el RMO. P. Phelipe Scio de S. Miguel de las escuelas pias, obispo electo de Segovia. Londres: Impreso 1823. ????
• The Holy Bible Douay Version. Translated from the Latin Vulgate (Douay, A.D. 1609: Rheims, A.D. 1582. London Catholic Truth Society (14 Septembris 1955). ????
• Vulgate – Latin Vulgate (e-Sword) ????
• Weber, R., & Gryson, R. (1969). Biblia Sacra iuxta Vulgatam versionem (5th revised edition). Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft with critical apparatus. (Logos Bible Software) ????
BIBLES (BASED ON …)
• AAT American Translation, J.M. Powis Smith, U. of Chicago Press 1951 ????
• AMP Amplified Bible, Frances Siewert (e-Sword) ????
• AMPC Amplified Bible Classic (e-Sword) ????
• ASV American Standard Version (e-Sword) ????
• BBE Bible in Basic English (1965) (e-Sword) ????
• Berkeley The Berkeley Version in Modern English – Zondervan 1959 ????
• Bishop Bishops’ Bible (1568) (e-Sword) ????
• Brenton Brenton’s English Septuagint (e-Sword) ????
• CEV Contemporary English Version (e-Sword) ????
• CJB Complete Jewish Bible (e-Sword) ????
• Darby 1889 Darby English Bible ????
• DRB 1899 Douay-Rheims Bible (e-Sword) ????
• EMTV English Majority Text Version (e-Sword) Greek New Testament
• ERV Easy to Read Version (e-Sword) ????
• ESV English Standard Version (e-Sword) ????
• FDB French Darby Bible (e-Sword) ????
• FLS French Louis Segond (e-Sword) ????
• Geneva Geneva Bible (1587) (e-Sword) ????
• GLB German Luther Bible (e-Sword) ????
• GNB Good News Bible (e-Sword) ????
• GW God’s Word (e-Sword) ????
• HCSB Holman Christian Standard Bible (e-Sword) ????
• HNV Hebrew Names Version ????
• ISV International Standard Version (e-Sword) ????
• JPS Jewish Publication Society Bible 1955 (e-Sword) ????
• JUB Jubilee Bible (e-Sword) ????
• KJV King James Version (AV) ????
• KJV1611 King James Version 1611 (e-Sword) ????
• KJV1900 1900 Cambridge Edition of the King James Version ????
• KoJB Koren Publishers, The Jerusalem Bible, Jerusalem, 1998 ????
• LBLA La Biblia de las Américas (e-Sword) ????
• LBP The Holy Bible from the Ancient Eastern Texts – Peshitta (e-Sword) ????
• LEB Lexham English Bible (e-Sword) ????
• Leeser Leeser Old Testament (e-Sword) ????
• LITV Literal Translation of the Holy Bible (e-Sword) ????
• Moffatt The Books of the Prophets (1939) Hodder & Stoughton: London. ????
• Murdock James Murdock New Testament (e-Sword) Greek New Testament
• NAS77 1977 New American Standard (e-Sword) ????
• NASB New American Standard Bible (e-Sword) ????
• NBLH Nueva Biblia Latinoamericana de Hoy (e-Sword) ????
• NVI La Santa Biblia: Nueva Versión Internacional (1984) (e-Sword) ????
• Rotherham Rotherham Emphasized Bible (e-Sword) ????
• RV Revised Version (e-Sword) ????
• RV1865 Reina Valera 1865 – NABC ????
• RV1865 Reina Valera 1865 (e-Sword) ????
• RV1906 Reina Valera 1906 – Sociedad Bíblica Americana ????
• RV1909 Reina Valera 1909 – Broadman & Holman Publishers ????
• RV1960 Reina Valera 1960 – Broadman & Holman Publishers ????
• RV2009 SUD LDS Spanish 2009 Translation – Salt Lake City ????
• RV60 La Santa Biblia Reina Valera (1960) (e-Sword) ????
• RV95 La Santa Biblia Reina Valera (1995) (e-Sword) ????
• RVG Reina Valera Gómez (e-Sword) ????
• Spurrell A Translation of the OT Scriptures by Helen Spurrel, London 1985 ????
• SRV Spanish Reina Valera 1909 (e-Sword) ????
• SSE Spanish Sagradas Escrituras (e-Sword) ????
• Tanakh A New Translation of The Holy Scriptures 1985(Jewish PS) ????
• TLV Tree of Life Version (e-Sword) ????
• TS2009 The Scriptures 2009 (e-Sword) ????
• WEB World English Bible (e-Sword) ????
• Webster 1833 Webster Bible (e-Sword) ????
• Wuest Wuest’s Expanded Translation (e-Sword) ????
• Young 1898 Young’s Literal Translation (e-Sword) ????
LEXICONS (INCLUDING SHORT TITLE)
• (2012). The Lexham Analytical Lexicon of the Septuagint. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.
• (2017). The Lexham Analytical Lexicon of the Hebrew Bible. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.
• Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., Bauer, W., & Gingrich, F. W. (2000). A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature (3rd ed.). Chicago: University of Chicago Press. BDAG
• Bosman, H. J., Oosting, R., & Potsma, F. (2009). Wörterbuch zum Alten Testament: Hebräisch/Aramäisch-Deutsch und Hebräisch/Aramäisch-Englisch (A Hebrew/Aramaic-English and Hebrew/Aramaic-German Lexicon of the Old Testament). Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft.
• Botterweck, G. J., Ringgren, H., & Fabry, H.-J. (Eds.). (1977–2012). J. T. Willis, G. W. Bromiley, D. E. Green, & D. W. Stott (Trans.), Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament (Revised Edition, Vol. I–XV). Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. TDOT.
• Brown, F., Driver, S. R., & Briggs, C. A. (1977). Enhanced Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon. Oxford: Clarendon Press. BDB
• Chávez, Moisés (1992). Diccionario de hebreo bı́blico (1. ed.). El Paso, Tx: Editorial Mundo Hispano.
• Clines, D. J. A. (Ed.). (1993–2011). The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew (Vol. I–VIII). Sheffield, England: Sheffield Academic Press; Sheffield Phoenix Press. DCH
• Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon. (2004). Targum Lexicon. Hebrew Union College. TgLex
• Davidson, Benjamin (1979). The Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon. Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
• Davies, Benjamin (1876). Student’s Hebrew Lexicon: A Compendious and Complete Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon to The Old Testament. 2nd Edition, London, Published by Albert Cohn.
• Fuerst, Julius (1867). A Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon to the Old Testament. 3rd Edition, translated by Samuel Davidson. London, Williams and Norgate. Fuerst
• Gesenius, W., & Tregelles, S. P. (2003). Gesenius’ Hebrew and Chaldee lexicon to the Old Testament Scriptures. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software. Gesenius
• Harris, R. L., Archer, G. L., Jr., & Waltke, B. K. (Eds.). (1999). Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament (electronic ed.). Chicago: Moody Press. TWOT
• Holladay, W. L., & Köhler, L. (2000). A concise Hebrew and Aramaic lexicon of the Old Testament. Leiden: Brill. CHAL or Holladay
• Jastrow, M. (1903). A Dictionary of the Targumim, the Talmud Babli and Yerushalmi, and the Midrashic Literature and II. London; New York: Luzac & Co.; G. P. Putnam’s Sons. Jastrow
• Jenni, E., & Westermann, C. (1997). Theological lexicon of the Old Testament. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers. TLOT
• Judit Targarona Borrás (1995). Diccionario Hebreo Español Bíblico, Rabínico, Medieval y Moderno. Riopiedras, Barcelona, España.
• Koehler, L., Baumgartner, W. (1958). Lexicon in Veteris Testamenti Libros & Supplementum Leiden: E.J. Brill. HAL
• Koehler, L., Baumgartner, W., Richardson, M. E. J., & Stamm, J. J. (1994–2000). The Hebrew and Aramaic lexicon of the Old Testament (electronic ed.). Leiden: E.J. Brill. HAL
• Koehler, L., Baumgartner, W., Richardson, M. E. J., & Stamm, J. J. (1994–2000). The Hebrew and Aramaic lexicon of the Old Testament: Aramaic (electronic ed., Vol. 5). Leiden; New York: E.J. Brill. HAL
• Pick, Aaron (1977). Dictionary of Old Testament for English Readers, Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
• Strong, J. (2009). A Concise Dictionary of the Words in the Greek Testament and The Hebrew Bible. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software. Strong
• Thomas, R. L. (1998). New American Standard Hebrew-Aramaic and Greek dictionaries: updated edition. Anaheim: Foundation Publications, Inc.
• Vine, W. E., Unger, M. F., & White, W., Jr. (1996). Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words. Nashville, TN: T. Nelson. Vine
• Young’s Analytical Concordance to the Bible (1970).
BIBLE DICTIONARIES AND ENCYCLOPEDIAS
• Barry, J. D., Bomar, D., Brown, D. R., Klippenstein, R., Mangum, D., Sinclair Wolcott, C., Widder, W. (Eds.). (2016). In The Lexham Bible Dictionary. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.
• Beale, G. K., & Carson, D. A. (2007). Commentary on the New Testament use of the Old Testament. Grand Rapids, MI; Nottingham, UK: Baker Academic; Apollos.
• Brand, C., Draper, C., England, A., Bond, S., Clendenen, E. R., Butler, T. C., & Latta, B. (Eds.). (2003). In Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary. Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
• Easton, M. G. (1893). In Easton’s Bible dictionary. New York: Harper & Brothers.
• Hastings, J., Selbie, J. A., Lambert, J. C., & Mathews, S. (1909). In Dictionary of the Bible. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons.
• LDS Library 2009 (electronic library)
• LDS Scripture Citation Index (electronic and app) URL http://scriptures.byu.edu/
• Ludlow, Daniel (Editor). Encyclopedia of Mormonism.
• M’Clintock, J., & Strong, J. (1891–1894). In Cyclopædia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Literature (Vol. I–X). New York: Harper & Brothers, Publishers.
• Orr, J. (Ed.). (1999). In The International standard Bible encyclopedia: 1915 edition. Albany, OR: Ages Software. ISBE
• Pick, Aaron (1977) Dictionary of Old Testament Words. Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
• Pritchard, James B. (editor), The Ancient Near East, Volume 1: Anthology of Texts and Pictures. Princeton University Press, 6th Paperback printing, 1973,
• Singer, I. (Ed.). (1901–1906). In The Jewish Encyclopedia: A Descriptive Record of the History, Religion, Literature, and Customs of the Jewish People from the Earliest Times to the Present Day, 12 Volumes. New York; London: Funk & Wagnalls.
• Smith, William (1884). A Dictionary of the Bible: comprising its antiquities, biography, geography, natural history and literature. The John C. Winston Company, Chicago. Teacher’s Edition.
• Smith’s Bible Dictionary
• Wood, D. R. W., & Marshall, I. H. (1996). In New Bible dictionary (3rd ed.). Leicester, England; Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press.
• Alexander, Joseph Addison (1870). The Prophecies of Isaiah Translated and Explained (Vols. 1–2). New York: Charles Scribner & Co. (Hard copy, Zondervan Publishing, Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1962). Alexander
• Allis, Oswald T. (1974). The Unity of Isaiah: A Study in Prophecy. The Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Company.
• Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture (ACCS) (29 vols.)
• Baltzer, K. (2001). Deutero-Isaiah: a commentary on Isaiah 40–55. (P. Machinist, Ed.). Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press.
• Baltzer, K. (2001). Deutero-Isaiah: a commentary on Isaiah 40–55. (P. Machinist, Ed.). Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press. Hermeneia. Baltzer
• Barnes, Albert. Notes on the Whole Bible, Isaiah. Barnes
• Box, G. H., & Driver, S. R. (1909). The Book of Isaiah: Translated from a Text Revised in Accordance with the Results of Recent Criticism. New York: The Macmillan Co.
• Brown, J. (1853). The Sufferings and Glories of the Messiah: An Exposition of Psalm 18, and Isaiah, 52:13–53:12. New York: Robert Carter & Brothers.
• Bullinger, E. W. (1898). Figures of speech used in the Bible. London; New York: Eyre & Spottiswoode; E. & J. B. Young & Co.
• Bullinger, E. W. (1968). Figures of speech used in the Bible. Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
• Calvin, John. Calvin’s Commentaries: Isaiah. APGA. Grand Rapids, Michigan. Calvin
• Cheyne, T. K. (1880). The Prophecies of Isaiah: A New Translation with Commentary and Appendices (Vols. 1–2). London: C. Kegan Paul & Co. Cheyne
• Cheyne, T. K. (1889). The Prophecies of Isaiah: A New Translation with Commentary and Appendices (Vols. 1–2). 5th Edition, Revised. London: C. Kegan Paul & Co. Cheyne
• Clarke, Adam. The Holy Bible: A Commentary and Critical Notes (Volume IV, Isaiah to Malachi). Abingdon Press, Nashville, New York. Clarke
• Cowles, Henry (1869). Isaiah with Notes: Critical, Explanatory, and Practical. New York, D. Appleton & Company. Cowles
• Driver, S.R. & Neubauer, AD. (1877). The Fifty-Third Chapter of Isaiah according to Jewish Interpreters. (Vols. I & II). Oxford and London: James Parker and Co. Neubauer & Driver
• Ensign, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Conference issues and other articles pertinent to the study of Isaiah and related matters.
• Ezra, A. I. (1873). The Commentary of IBN Ezra on Isaiah. (M. Friedländer, Ed.) (Vols. 1–2). London: Trübner & Co. Ibn Ezra
• General Conference (General Conference talks by Church leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, where they have quoted Isaiah or taught related topics). General Conference
• Gill, John. Exposition of the Entire Bible. Gill
• Govett, R. (1841). Isaiah Unfulfilled: Being an Exposition of the Prophet. James Nisbet and Co. London.
• Gray, George Buchanan (1980). A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Book of Isaiah (Vol. I, I–XXVII). The International Critical Commentary (ICC). Edinburgh. Printed in Scotland. T&T Clark LTD. Gray
• Hawker, Robert (1816–1820). Poor Man’s Old Testament Commentary, Especially Volume 5.
• Henderson, Ebenezer (1857). The Book of the Prophet Isaiah: Translated from the Original Hebrew with a Commentary, Critical, Philological, and Exegetical. 2nd Edition. London: Hamilton, Adams, and Co. Henderson
• Henry, Matthew. Matthew Henry’s Commentary, Vol. IV Isaiah-Malachi. Henry
• Hertz, J.H., ed. (1978). The Pentateuch and Haftorahs. 2nd Ed, 1978, Commentary. Hertz
• Horsley, Samuel (1844). Isaiah (Biblical Criticism on the Nine Prophetical Books). 2nd Edition. Longman, Brown, Green and Longmans and F&J Riverton, London. Horsley
• Horsley, Samuel. Critical Disquisitions on the Eighteenth Chapter of Isaiah: In a letter to Edward King. From the London copy of 1799, Re-printed by James Humphreys, Philadelphia 1800. Horsley
• Institute Student Manual for the Old Testament, Vol. II (LDS)
• Ironside, H.A. (1985). Expository Notes on the Prophet Isaiah. Loizeaux Brothers, Neptune, New Jersey. Ironside
• Isaiah, Abraham Ben & Sharfman, Benjamin (1949), The Pentateuch and Rashi’s Commentary: A Linear Translation into English. (Vols. 1–5) Published by S.S. & R. Publishing Company, Brooklyn, New York.
• Jackson, Kent P., editor. Studies in Scripture (Especially Vol. 4, Kings to Malachi)
• Jennings, Frederic Charles (1966). Studies in Isaiah. Loizeaux Brothers, Neptune, New Jersey. Jennings
• Jenour, Alfred (1830). The Book of the Prophet Isaiah translated from the Hebrew; with Critical and Explanatory notes and practical remarks on the nature and use of prophecy. (Vols. 1–2). Seeley and Burnside, London. Jenour
• Journal of Discourses (26 vols., teachings by the early leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Isaiah or related topics). JD
• Kaiser, Otto (1963). Isaiah 1–12 (Vol. 1). Part of the Old Testament Library series. The Westminster Press, Philadelphia. (Also see Westermann, for Vol. 3) Kaiser
• Kaiser, Otto (1974). Isaiah 13– 39 (Vol. 2). Part of the Old Testament Library series. The Westminster Press, Philadelphia. (Also see Westermann, for Vol. 3) Kaiser
• Kay, W. (1893). Isaiah. The Holy Bible according to the Authorized Version (AD 1611) with explanatory and critical commentary by Bishops and other Clergy of the Anglican Church, Volume V, Isaiah-Jeremiah-Lamentations. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons. Kay
• Keil-Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament
• Keil-Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament, Isaiah. Delitzsch
• Keith, Alexadner (1850). Isaiah as it is: or Judah and Jerusalem the subjects of Isaiah’s Prophesying. London: Longman and Co. Keith
• Lowth, Robert (1834). Isaiah: A New Translation, with A Preliminary Dissertation and Notes. Boston;Cambridge: William Hilliard;James Munroe and Company. Lowth
• Lowth, Robert (1848). Isaiah: A New Translation, with A Preliminary Dissertation and Notes. 14th Edition. London; Printed for William Tegg and Co. Lowth
• Ludlow, Daniel H. A Companion to Your Study of the Old Testament. Salt Lake City, Utah: Desert Book, 1981.
• Ludlow, Victor L. Isaiah: Prophet, Seer, and Poet. Ludlow
• Luther, M. Isaiah. Luther’s Works, Volume 16 & 17. Concordia Publishing House, Fortress Press. Luther
• Margalioth, Rachel (1964). The Indivisible Isaiah: Evidence for the Single Authorship of the Prophetic Book. Sura Institute for Research, Jerusalem; Yeshiva University, New York. Margalioth
• McConkie, Bruce R. A New Witness for the Articles of Faith. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book Company, 1985.
• McConkie, Bruce R. Doctrinal New Testament Commentary. (3 vols.). Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft, 1965–1973.
• McConkie, Bruce R. The Messiah Series. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book Company, 1978–82. The Promised Messiah; The Millennial Messiah: The Second Coming of the Son of Man
• McDonogh, T.M. & Manton, Thomas (1858). Isaiah’s Report of The Messiah as revealed in the 53rd Chapter of his prophecy; Expounded in a series of twenty-four lectures. London: Wertheim, Macintosh, and Hunt. McDonough & Manton
• McFadyen, J. E. (1910). The Book of the Prophecies of Isaiah. New York: MacMillan Co. McFadyen
• McFadyen, John Edgar (1910). The Book of the Prophecies of Isaiah. New York, The MacMillan Company.
• Nägelsbach, Carl Wilhelm Eduard (1878). Lange’s Commentary on the Holy Scriptures, (Volume 11). The Prophet Isaiah. Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, Michigan. Nägelsbach
• Nyman, Monte S., & Charles D. Tate, Jr., eds. Isaiah and the Prophets: Inspired Voices from the Old Testament.
• Nyman, Monte. Great are the Words of Isaiah. Nyman
• Orelli, C. Von (1889). The Prophecies of Isaiah. Edinburgh, T&T Clark. Orelli
• Oswalt, J. N. (1986). The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 1–39. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. Oswalt
• Oswalt, J. N. (1986). The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 1–39. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. Oswalt
• Parry, Donald W.; Parry, Jay A.; & Peterson, Tina M. Understanding Isaiah.
• Paul, S. M. (2012). Isaiah 40–66: Translation and Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, UK: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. Shalom Paul
• Peterson, Mark E. (1981). Isaiah for Today. Deseret Book Company, Salt Lake City, Utah.
• Poole, M. (1853). Annotations upon the Holy Bible (Vols. 1–3). New York: Robert Carter and Brothers. Poole
• Pratt, Parley P. A Voice of Warning and Instruction to All People Or, an Introduction to the Faith and Doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints New Edition. (1846) Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1957. Included is the preface to the First American Edition (1837) and the Second European Edition (December 4, 1846).
• Rawlinson, George (1910). The Pulpit Commentary: Isaiah (Vols. 1–2). Spence-Jones, H. D. M. (Ed.). London; New York: Funk & Wagnalls Company. (No date on hard copy.) Rawlinson
• Roberts, J. J. M. (2015). First Isaiah: A Commentary. (P. Machinist, Ed.). Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press. Hermenaia.
• Rosenberg, Rabbi A.J. (2007). The Book of Isaiah: A new English Translation of the Text, Rashi, and a Commentary Digest (includes Redak, Ibn Ezra, Kimhi, and others). (Vols. 1–3) The Judaica Press, 5th Printing, Brooklyn, New York. Rosenberg
• Shaye J.D. Cohen, a professor of Hebrew Literature and Philosophy at Harvard, online courses, The Hebrew Scriptures in Judaism & Christianity and The Hebrew Bible.
• Simeon, Charles (1832). Isaiah. Horae Homileticae or discourses forming a commentary upon every book of the Old and New Testament. Volume 7 (Proverbs to Isaiah). Simeon
• Skinner, J. (1930) The Book of the Prophet Isaiah: In the Revised Version with Introduction and Notes. Cambridge: At the University Press. Part of The Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges. Skinner
• Slotki, Israel Wolf (1983). Isaiah. The Soncino Books of the Bible: Hebrew Text & English translation. (Revised by Rabbi A. J. Rosenberg). The Soncino Press Limited, London, Jerusalem, New York. Slotki-Rosenberg
• Smith, Joseph Fielding (1946). Church History and Modern Revelation. Salt Lake City, Utah: The Council of The Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
• Smith, Joseph Fielding (1957). Answers to Gospel Questions. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book.
• Smith, Joseph Fielding (1973). The Restoration of All Things. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book,
• Smith, Joseph Fielding. The Signs of the Times. “Restoration of Israel and Judah.” Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret News Press, 1952.
• Smith, Joseph Fielding. The Way to Perfection: Short Discourses on Gospel Themes. 9th ed. Salt Lake City: Genealogical Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1951,
• Smith, Joseph Jr. History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Edited by B. H. Roberts. 2nd ed., Salt Lake City, Utah: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
• Smith, Joseph. History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, (Vols. 1-7). Introduction and notes by B. H. Roberts.
• Standard works of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: Bible, Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price.
• Talmage, James E. Jesus the Christ: A Study of the Messiah and His Mission According to Holy Scriptures Both Ancient and Modern.
• Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, TPJS
• The Babylonian Talmud, Complete Soncino English Translation (online). But also see Neusner, J. (2011). The Babylonian Talmud: A Translation and Commentary. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers; Neusner, J. (2008). The Jerusalem Talmud: A Translation and Commentary. Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers; Neusner, J. (1988). The Mishnah : A new translation. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
• The Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown Commentary JFB (Isaiah). Fausset
• Tov, Emanuel. Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible (2nd Edition), Augsburg Fortress Press, Minneapolis, MN, 2001. Also see Third edition.
• Urwick, William (1877). עֶבֶד יְהוָה The Servant of Jehovah: A Commentary, Grammatical and Critical upon Isaiah 52:13–53:12. Edinburgh. T&T Clark LTD. Urwick
• Wade, G. W. (1911). The Book of the Prophet Isaiah with Introduction and Notes. London: Methuen & Co. Wade
• Westermann, Claus (1969). Isaiah40–66 (Vol. 3). Part of the Old Testament Library series. The Westminster Press, Philadelphia. (Also see Kaiser, for Vols. 1–2) Westermann
• Whitehouse, Owen C. (1905). The Century Bible, Isaiah (Vols. 1–2). Edinburgh, London. Whitehouse
• Wildberger, H. (1997). A Continental Commentary: Isaiah 13-27. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press. Wildberger
• Wolk, Herbert & Stek, John. The New International Version Study Bible (Isaiah).
• Wordsworth, CHR. (1871) The Holy Bible in the Authorized Version with Notes and Introductions. Volume 5 (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, and Ezekiel). London, Rivingtons, Waterloo Place. Wordsworth
• Young, Edward J. (1993). The Book of Isaiah: A Commentary: The English Text, with Introduction, Exposition, and Notes (Vols. 1–3). Eerdmans Publishing Company, Grand Rapids, Michigan. Young
• Zimmerli, W. & Jeremias, J. (1957). The Servant of God. Alec R. Allenson, Inc., Naperville, Illinois.
JST – INSPIRED VERSION
• Joseph Smith’s “New Translation” of the Bible (1970). Edwards, Henry F. (introduction). Herald Publishing House, Independence, Missouri.
• Joseph Smith’s Translation of the Bible (2010) – Electronic Library
• LDS Bible JST notes
• The Complete Joseph Smith Translation of the New Testament: A Side-by-Side Comparison with the King James Version. Wayment, Thomas A.
• The Complete Joseph Smith Translation of the Old Testament: A Side-by-Side Comparison with the King James Version. Wayment, Thomas A.